- 3/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (3 ears)
- 1 cup diced seeded plum tomato (about 2 small)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 20 kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1. Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt. (If you haven’t cooked barley before, like me, take note: this step will take you about 45 minutes!) Drain and rinse with cold water. Cool completely.
2. Combine barley, corn, and next 4 ingredients (through kalamata olives) in a bowl. Combine juice and next 4 ingredients (through garlic), stirring well with a whisk; drizzle over barley mixture. Toss to coat. (This dressing was good, but the flavor barely came through. Next time I might try to double the dressing amount…)
3. The recipe says to sprinkle with cheese and serve. I preferred to sprinkle a little bit of cheese over each individual serving portion. I probably used more than 3/4 cup total, but I think it’s the way to go.